Monday, June 20, 2011

Retool and Refit




The Windermere Marathon is DONE!!! We not ony survived it, but finished it at around the time we hoped and without serious injury. A lot of time, effort, and energy went into it and I can say that I am proud that I was able to finish what I started (despite so many folks telling me that I couldn't because of my prior injuries and my mental issues). So what now??? I plan to continue to train for my physical and mental health - I want this to be a part of my life for as long as possible.



Well, the long, hot south Mississippi summer has started (actually tomorrow is the "official start", but already faced a couple of triple digit days), the local racing season is over for awhile, and I face several new challenges regarding family issues and my son. These challenges will be more taxing than any marathon, but like the marathon - I will endure, continue and do the best that I can do. So, I am regrouping - continuing to train with a return to a more balanced fitness program that includes my boxing/martial arts training, stretching, strength training and of course, continued road work. And - more important, I will continue to work at being a good father to my son and becoming a good husband to my spouse (funny to say that after being "life partners" for years).



This past week was my first scheduled "off-week" or non-training week in a long, long while. We only did a very light session of stretching and some informal session of strength training that we felt we needed to complete from our "post-marathon" 4 week schedule. This week, we hope to a start a short 5 week phase that works towards developing the triad training method that I hope will "take" and become my summer training schedule and "maybe" more of my overall way of living my life. Maybe this will create that fluid balance that I need to maintain my mental health as well as possible. The stressors of the past month or so - should have or could have easily pushed me over the edge - but well, I struggled through brief periods of depression, a few sleepless nights and of course, that "wonderful" self-guilt I carry around ... we didn't crash and burn. So, that's a good thing!



As for the running (road work) - I am completely aware that I am NOT an elite runner, nor never will be. The injuries from my past will never allow for that and that's just a simple fact. I accept that fact, and it really has not been my desire to be an "elite" anything, because nearly 3 years ago - I changed gears and my training is personal and bound in reasons that relate to finding "peace" in my mental illnesses. I shy ayay from any "lime-light" and search only to be "content" and ale to maintain a "sort-of" fluid balance within myself.



In all honesty, I have had more than my share of excitement, challenges, and "attention" - both good and bad - in my past, and now, I have no desire to return to that place or time. I seek to find peace and contentment from what most would called "boring" but that's what I like and I call it living as simple as possible.



Later ...

No comments:

Post a Comment